This DVD, created by a physical therapist, addresses exercise that targets common areas of decline as we age. It moves a a faster pace than its precursor, “BoneSmart Pilates®: Exercise to Prevent or Reverse Osteoporosis”. It is a perfect gift for yourself or someone you know that wants to age with strength and grace. Though challenging, it is safe for those with special conditions as well as osteopenia or osteoporosis. Bonus Posture Segment demonstrates how to achieve ideal sitting posture with ease.
6. When walking, look down with your eyes only. Don’t tilt your head down as it will alter your balance and increase your chances of falling. Look down with your head and you may go splat.
5. Wear sensible shoes with good traction. That doesn’t have to mean ugly, luckily shoe stores like Footwear Etc. carry sensible shoes that are stylish too!
4. Take your time, be mindful and don’t rush, especially if you’re dealing with winter snow and ice.
3. Keep exercise a consistent part of your life. Strong muscles in your legs and core can help you regain your balance if you lose it momentarily and strong arms can help you decelerate and cushion a fall should you take a tumble. Self foot massage with a half tennis ball, is safer than a full ball and improves circulation, proprioception and because of increased spacial awareness, improves balance.
2. Remember that it is far easier and more fun to prevent a fall than it is to recover from a broken bone. Practicing BoneSmart Pilates® for 15 minutes three times per week can help you prevent an accident that could take you years to recover from, and could reduce your quality of life permanently.
1. Top tip: Always use handrails! This year I ruptured my rotator cuff for not doing so on icy steps in NY. My daughter broke a bone this summer falling downs stairs in our home because our handrail was missing due to renovations.
Falling can happen to anyone. I fell on some icy steps in 2015, and shared this video, so you could see how I worked out 1 week after surgery, with one arm that basically didn’t move!
Teresa fell HARD on icy steps in NY. Though her bones are healthy and remained intact, she sustained a full rupture of a rotator cuff tendon, one of the key players that stabilizes the arm bone in its socket.
So you know that she “walks her talk”, this video clip gives you a sneak peek into what she can and can’t do 1 wk after rotator cuff surgical repair. Even with her shoulder out of commission, the versatility of Pilates allows her to stay strong and agile providing healing circulation and feel good endorphin release to all parts of her body. She’ll also let you in on the little she can do with her arm out of her sling.
Can you guess her secret to maintaining sanity in the middle of her sleepless nights? Watch the end to find out!
With 55 people in attendance and a long wait list, Teresa shared her key secrets to Aging Strong and included plenty of science, practical demonstrations from volunteers in the audience and a rousing dance that got everybody up and moving. “It was both helpful and fun, I brought 5 friends and they all raved about it!” ~Katy D. “Your presentation was great-like Live Dr. Radio!” ~Mercy F. “I am shocked how slumped I was sitting & immediately am sitting straighter” ~Elayne M. See a Sneak Peak of Aging Strong in Action
Dr. Keith McCormick connected with me recently as a health care professional who also specializes in osteoporosis. I sent Dr. McCormick a copy of the BoneSmart Pilates® DVD and and asked him to let me know what he thought. He was thrilled to find: “…exactly what I have been looking for for my patients with osteoporosis…this DVD will help you to tone your muscles, keep your joints supple, and stimulate bone strengthening..all while having fun…It is the best exercise video for people with osteoporosis that I have seen.”
Read Dr. McCormick’s full review of the BoneSmart Pilates® DVD on his website here.
I had the recent pleasure of being interviewed by Dr. Susan Brown, via live video “Google Hangout”, about my BoneSmart Pilates® method. Dr. Brown, located in upstate New York, is an expert in the field of natural remedies and proactive treatments for osteoporosis and she endorses the BoneSmart Pilates® DVD and Method.
View the Hangout Here or click on the image below
Click to learn more about Dr. Brown
The BoneSmart Pilates® Youtube channel was created for women with low bone density as well as those with healthy bones that want to keep them that way! Who are you? You are in the best and last third of your life and you are ready to commit to a healthier you. Subscribe to this channel to receive free helpful clips that support you in living the life you want.
This channel is for YOU, so if there is something you want to see or need help with, let me know in the comments section below.
150 Wortham Court
Mountain View, CA 94040
Are you an active ager and want to stay that way?
Yes! Get monthly Active Aging Tips you can trust!